Dhwani OCCUPATIONAL HEALTH PROVIDES A VAST ARRAY OF PHYSICAL SERVICES
Although OSHA does not currently have any set requirements for ergonomics, they do provide guidelines for three industries. The guidelines are based on previous history of musculoskeletal disorders and other work-related injuries. These industries are Poultry Processing, Nursing Homes, and Retail Grocery Stores. Guidelines are tools used to help employers recognize ergonomic hazards. Employers in other industries may find useful information in these guidelines for their own ergonomic programs.
Identifiers of ergonomic problems
- Employee fatigue or discomfort
- Employees modifying tools, equipment, and workstations on their own
- High absenteeism and turnover rates
- Poor product or service quality
- High error rates or waste of product
- Employee reports of problems
- Reduce swelling by soaking affected parts in cool water while performing gentle exercises.
- Reduce pain by soaking affected bogy parts in warm water while performing gentle exercises.
- Limit activities that aggravate the condition.
- Over the counter pain relievers may be used to reduce discomfort.
- Healthcare professionals may prescribe medications to help treat injury.
- Restrictions may be advised to give the injury a chance to heal.
- The physician may order Immobilization devices
- Therapy may be administered to the affected area.
This stage healing takes much longer, chronic or permanent impairment may be expected. Some surgeries are able to correct the disease.
There are many types of ergonomic equipment available to reduce injuries.
- Anti-vibration gloves
- Ergonomic chairs/stools
- Cushioned floor mats
- Scissors lifts
- Hydraulic lifts
Types of Exercise Programs
There are different types of exercise programs. Warm-ups are designed to limber up muscles before performing strenuous work, much as an athlete would do. Regular stretch breaks are intended to periodically stretch unused muscles and to provide relief from being in the same position for too long. Conditioning exercises get people in shape by strengthening muscles and by improving flexibility and endurance.