Knee Replacement Surgery
Dhwani Hospital, Ahmedabad, India, offers advanced treatment for conditions of the knee joint such as arthritis that can severely affect the knee and hamper routine activities.
Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. A gradual wearing away of the tissue on the ends of bones results in reduction of joint space and friction at the exposed bone surfaces, changing regular bone movement and causing severe pain. Knee Replacement surgery is the best solution to treat the condition and allow resumption of normal activities in the knee.
The types of arthritis are:
This occurs after the age of 50 in individuals with a family history of arthritis. The tissue that cushions the bones of the knee softens and wears away. The bones then rub against one another, causing knee pain and stiffness.
This is a disease in which the inner membrane of joints is thickened and inflamed. This results in excessive production of the fluid that lubricates these joints. This chronic inflammation can damage the tissue covering the ends of the bones and eventually result in loss of the tissue, pain and stiffness.
It can result from a serious knee injury. A knee fracture or severe tears of the knee’s connective tissue may damage the tissue covering the ends of the bones over time, causing knee pain and limiting knee function.
Symptoms of arthritis:
- Severe pain in the joint that restricts everyday activities such as walking, climbing stairs and getting up from chairs.
- Severe pain while resting.
- Inflammation and swelling of the joint that does not improve with medication and rest.
- Deformity in the joint.
- Joint stiffness or inability to move the joint in a normal manner.
Some of the knee surgeries and treatments performed at Dhwani Hospitals, India are:
Total Knee Replacement
For patients suffering from severe arthritis that can cause acute pain and make even routine activities difficult, Total Knee Replacement is the best solution.The procedure involves removing all diseased portions of bone and tissue on their ends, and replacing them with metal and high density plastic components shaped to create a structure that allows normal movement of the joint. Other knee deformities will also be corrected during the surgery.
Partial Knee Replacement
This minimally invasive procedure is an option for arthritis patients in whom only one part of the knee has been affected.
In a Partial Knee Replacement the diseased portion is removed and replaced with a metal implant.
High Tibial Osteotomy
An osteotomy is surgery that involves shaping and realigning of bones at a joint. It is usually used to treat arthritis in young patients, and is particularly recommended for those with very shallow joint sockets.
In the High Tibial Osteotomy the upper part of the tibia – one of the limbs forming the lower leg – is resurrected, mostly by removing a small part of bone in the area.
At Dhwani Hospital, Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, we undertakes all kinds of surgeries and operations related to both injury as well as other diseases of the musculo skeletal system. Using sophisticated equipments Joint Replacements like Hip Joint and Knee Joint (TKR, THR), arthroscopy, fracture and spine surgery are regularly done with outstanding success.
The Orthopaedic Trauma Service carries on the tradition of excellence in clinical care to provide comprehensive treatment for all musculoskeletal injuries.
The Trauma Service physicians care for patients with recent or acute injuries as well as those who have chronic problems or complications of previous injuries. Treatments are highly individualized and often include operative procedures as well as non-operative care such as splinting, bracing, and casting. . Rehabilitation after injury is a critical part of the treatment plan. Restoration of function, return to normal activities, and prevention of pain and deformity are our goals as we care for the total patient in a multidisciplinary environment
Partial List of Procedures:
Joint Replacement Surgeries :
- Total Hip Joint Replacement (T.H.R.)
- Total Knee Joint Replacement (T.K.R.)
Trauma-Fracture Surgeries :
- Paediatric Fractures, Sports Injuries
- Conservative Treatment ( Reduction – Plaster )
- Intra-articular fracture fixation by A-O principles
- Long bones fracture surgeries ( Screw-Plate fixation, Closed Nailings, Bone Grafting , TBWs, Pinning )
Arthroscopic Surgeries :
- Sports Injuries-Ligament Injury Repair / Reconstruction ( ACL / PCL )
- Key hole surgery for disorders of knee, shoulder, elbow and ankle are offered
- Meniscus injuries ( Knee Joint Arthroscopy )
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Arthritis / Loose Body removal ( OA Knee Joint, Osteo arthitis & Knee Effusion )
Spine Surgeries :
- Traumatic spine fractures
- Disc surgeries
- Spine reconstructive surgeries
- Spine Tuberculosis surgeries
Bone Tumor and Other Bone Disease Surgeries :
- Residual Polio-Myelitis Surgeries
- Congenital Deformity correction Surgery
Paediatric Orthopaedics :
- Adolescent Anterior Knee Pain
- Back Pain
- Cerebral Palsy
- Club Foot
- Congenital Muscular Torticollis (Twisted Neck)
- Developmental Hip Dislocation/Dysplasia (DDH)
- Erb’s Palsy (Brachial Plexus Injury)
- Flat Feet
- Fractures & Growth Plate Fractures
- Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Legg-Calve-Perthes Disease
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Osgood-Schlatter Disease (Knee Pain)
- Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis (SCFE)
Conditions We Treat :
- Head Injury
- Infective arthritis
- Traumatic arthritis
- Osteoarthritis , Spondylitis related problems
- Spine Diseases including Low Back Pain, Sciatica, etc
- Rheumatoid arthritis ( RA )
- Osteoarthritis -OA Knee / Hip( TKR, THR )
- Neuromuscular Diseases
- Congenital limb & spinal deformities
- Bone & Joint infections
- Juvenile Arthritis
- Metabolic bone disorders
- Shoulder/rotator cuff surgery
- Plastic Surgery / Microvascular Surgery with reconstruction Surgery
Any Orthopaedic Trauma or Musculoskeletal conditions of :-
- Hand & Wrist
- Foot & Ankle
- Sports medicine
- physical and occupational therapy